THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS
- POWERS OF STANDARDS COUNCIL: The SON Act Cap. S9 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 is the enabling Act. It has given powers to the Standards Council to designate, establish and approve standards in respect of metrology, materials, commodities, structures and processes for the certification of products in commerce and industry throughout Nigeria and to carry out any other functions imposed on it under this Act or any other written law; power to make rules. See Ss 4,12,14,23 etc.
- POWERS OF THE MINSTER: Ss 2, 16, of SON Act etc. power to give directives to SON; power to declare established standard as binding etc.
- POWERS OF SON: Ss 5, 7,etc. power to organize tests, investigate into the quality of facilities, materials and products, ensure reference standards for calibration and verification of measures and measuring instruments, register and regulate standard marks and specifications, etc.
There are several regulations made by the standards council and approved by the minister or executive council under the powers given to the council and minister under sections 3, 4, 23.
Some of the regulatory requirements include:
- The mandatory SONCAP PROGRAMME (Offshore Conformity Assessment Programme) for imported goods.
- The mandatory MANCAP Programme (Mandatory Conformity Assessment Programme) for locally manufactured products.
- The Mandatory Products Registration Programme etc.
MANDATE OF STANDARDS ORGANIZATION OF NIGERIA
- Designation, establishment, approval and declaration of standards in respect of metrology, materials, commodities, structures and processes.
- Certification of products in commerce and industry throughout Nigeria.
- Quality control of products, weights and measures.
- Matters relating to metrology- ensure reference standards for calibration and verification of measures and measuring instruments
- Investigation of quality of products etc.
- Enforcement of Standards.
- Quality management.
- Registration and regulation of standard marks and specifications etc.
- Establishment and maintenance of Laboratories.
- Compilation and publication of Scientific or order data.
- Sponsoring national and international conferences.
- Proferring professional advice to government of the federation or state on specific problems relating to Standards specifications.
- Establishment of Standard Library.