Section (5) of the SON Act No. 14 of 2015 stipulates that SON shall
- Undertake investigation as necessary into the quality of facilities, systems, services, materials, and product, whether imported or manufactured in Nigeria.
- Evaluate quality assurance activities, including certification of systems, products, and laboratories throughout Nigeria.
- Establish an Import and Export Product Surveillance, Certification and Conformity Assessment Scheme.
- Establish a mandatory conformity assessment programme for locally manufactured products in Nigeria.
- Register and regulate standards, marks, and certification.
- Undertake registration of all manufactured products distributed, marketed, and consumed throughout Nigeria.
Product Certification Department discharges some of the above by ensuring that locally manufactured, and imported products, in Nigeria comply with regulations and give the required degree of satisfaction to consumers through compliance with Government policies on standardization and conformity assessment.
The General aim is to ensure continual improvement on the quality of the products while collaborating effectively with all relevant stakeholders to build strong relationship for mutual benefits.
- To encourage production of excellent quality products and healthy competition through consistent compliance to relevant standards.
- To encourage continual improvement on quality of products and production processes by manufacturing industries in the country.
- Promote global competitiveness among domestic manufacturers
- Promote industrial/economic development by ensuring that Made-in-Nigeria products meet the requirements of the relevant Nigeria Industrial Standards
- To provide confidence to consumers that products purchased will not only meet intended use but will offer value for money.
- Promote global acceptance of Made-in-Nigeria Products
- Ensure that only products which conforms to specification are processed for importation into Nigeria
- Encourage continual improvement on the quality of products in line with the statutory obligation of the Standards Organisation of Nigeria
- To protect genuine manufacturers and importers from faking and substandard products
- Ensure that precise information on policies and other regulatory requirements of its activities are available on the public domain
The Product Certification Department achieve the above objectives through the following, among other actions:
- Management of the Certification, Conformity Assessment Schemes and Product Surveillance for all Import and Exports of regulated products in Nigeria
- Certification of locally manufactured products processed through the Mandatory Conformity Assessment Programme
- Monitoring the quality and Issuance of the certificates to imported products processed through the Standards Organisation of Nigeria Conformity Assessment Programme (SONCAP)
- Registration of all products distributed, marketed, and consumed throughout Nigeria
- Issuance of Product Authentication Marks to preventing counterfeiting
Product Certification Schemes
SON’s Product Certification schemes are third party assessments of products and processed to confirm conformance to requirements of the relevant specifications or standards.
There are five (5) main product certification schemes operated by the Organisation through the Product Certification Department: