The Legal/Council directorate is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal involvements of SON, provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
- Criminal Prosecution Unit
- Litigation Management
- Soliciting/Legal Drafting Unit
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Unit
- Providing Legal Advice And Guidance
- Prosecution Of Cases In Courts And Litigation Management
- Review, Preparation And Drafting Of Documents
- Any Other Duty/Task Assigned By DG/CE SON.
- To ensure that all actions and activities of the Organisation are executed within the provisions of the Standards Organisation of Nigeria Act, 2015 and other extant laws, rules and regulations.
- To ensure that all assets of the Organisation are properly managed, documented and secured.
- To ensure that set targets given to the Directorate are met.
- To ensure constant review of rules and regulations that may impede on the Organisation’s ability to deliver on its mandate.
- Review and provide legal advice on tender documents.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for executive management meetings.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- Provide continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team.
- Liaise with the HR department in conducting performance appraisals and ensure competency and training gaps are addressed.