The authority for the establishment of Department of General Services was drawn from the circular issued by the office of the Head of Civil Service of the federation referenced HCS/CMO/EM/243/17 dated 11th March, 2014. The Department was formally established at the organisation in February, 2022. Hitherto the functions were being handled by the Human Resource Department. The formal establishment of the Department at SON is therefore in line with the policy. The role of Department is the provision of general services needed to enhance the operation of the Organisation
To deliver high quality and cost-effective support services to enable the organisation achieved its objectives.
To provide timely, quality and efficient services to the Organisation through the provision of conducive working environment.
In carrying out its role, the Department operate through two divisions namely:
- General Service Division and
- Construction and Facility Management Division.
GENERAL SERVICE DIVISION
The General Services Division handles the following functions;
- Transport Administration
- Utility Services ( Telephone, PABX, Electricity, Water, sewage, physical landscape e.t.c).
- Stores Management;
- Office acquisition, allocation and management
- Security related matters.
CONSTRUCTION AND FACILITY MANAGEMENT DIVISION
This division handles the following functions;
- Facility Management;
- Plant Maintenance;
- Equipment Maintenance;
- Project Design and Implementation.
- Review, recommend and take delivery of vehicles
- General fleet administration
- Facilitates official transportation
- Vehicle maintenance works
- Management of car parks
- Store item management
- Manages the store
- Allocation of store items
- Liaises with the Procurement Unit
- Provides security and related functions such as physical security by liaises with security agencies such as Police, DSS & NSCDC in the discharge of its functions.
- Prepare and process payments of allowance of the police, NSCDC, DSS and others serving the Organization
- Process utility bills such as Electricity, Water and waste including payments of same
- Liaises with other statutory bodies in charge of provision of services such as: Electricity Distribution Companies (EDCs), Water Boards (WB), Environmental Protection Boards
PHYSICAL LANDSCAPE UNIT
- Maintains the flowers and flower beds
- Supervises the general cleaning services
OFFICE ACQUISITION, ALLOCATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Setting guidelines for the renting of office accommodation
- Allocation of offices.
CONSTRUCTION & FACILITY MANAGEMENT DIVISION
The Construction and Facility Management Division has:
THE FACILITY MANAGEMENT UNIT which performs the following functions
- Building Routine Maintenance Desk
- Electrical Maintenance Desk
- Equipment Maintenance Desk
- Plants Maintenance Desk
The management of conference and Janitorial Services.
PROJECT DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION UNIT
- Undertakes the conception/ identification of the Projects and design,
- Preparation of Bill of Quantities (BQ),
- Projects supervision, monitoring and evaluation.
Renovation/Remodeling of existing buildings
Liaison with project contractors and consultants