- September 27, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: News & Events
A Nigerian delegation led by the Director General, Standards Organisation of Nigeria, Osita Aboloma Esq. is among global participants at the on-going 2018 General Assembly of the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
As part of the activities of the delegation and in the desire to strengthen mutually beneficial relationship, the Standards Organisation of Nigeria has entered into a new memorandum of understanding with the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) International.
ASTM Vice President, Global Cooperation, Teresa Cendrowska, representing the President, Katharine F. Morgan, stated that the organisation wishes to enhance its support for the needs of the people of Nigeria, continued growth of the nation’s economy, and aid the development of Nigerian national standards for health, safety and the environment.
The MoU which was formally signed at the occasion by Ms. Cendrowska for ASTM and Osita Aboloma Esq. for the SON has as key points the following;
– To promote communication between the two organizations,
– To avoid duplication of work efforts where possible,
– To Promote knowledge of standard development activities of both organizations,
– To utilize the resources of ASTM International to strengthen SON standards development system,
– To promote greater SON input and content through active participation in the ASTM International standards development process,
– To promote the SON acceptance and use of ASTM International standards
The signing ceremony was witnessed by Messrs. Chinyere Egwuonwu, Ibrahim Abdullahi and Richard Arinze, SON Director, Standards Development; Deputy Director, Library Services and Special Assistant to the Director General respectively.
SON and ASTM International have had over a decade of cooperation in standards exchange and use as part of international collaboration, in line with the International Organisation for Standardization (ISO) guidelines.
Also, on the Nigerian delegation to the 2018 ISO General Assembly were Prof. Felicia Monye and Chief Chris Sesdon Dirisu, both members of the SON Governing Council; Major General Adekunle Shodunke, Chief of Army Standards and Brigadier General Mohammed Adamu, Director, Safety and Standards, both of the Nigerian Army Headquarters.