- April 1, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: News & Events
The Standards Organisation of Nigeria in conjunction with Omec Investment limited recently carried out an awareness workshop for the North West region of Nigeria at the Regview Restland Hotel, Kachia Road, Kaduna on the 30th March 2017.
The objectives of the workshop were to
• Enlighten stakeholders of the impacts of their activities on the environment
• Create awareness on the need to minimize our impacts on the environment
• Introduce the concept of environmental management systems to businesses
• Sensitize and encourage organizations to adopt and implement ISO 14001 2015 as a tool to effectively manage their environment
The workshop which was declared open by the regional Coordinator North West, Mr Dauda Yakubu covered topics which introduced ISO and ISO 14001, some common environmental issues , environmental pollution in Nigeria and the need for managing the environment in a structured manner based on ISO 14001 2015
ISO 14001:2015 specifies the requirements for an environmental management system that an organization can use to enhance its environmental performance. It is intended to be used by organizations seeking to manage their environmental responsibilities in a systematic manner that contributes to the environmental pillar of sustainability.
ISO 14001:2015 is applicable to any organization, regardless of size, type and nature, and applies to the environmental aspects of its activities, products and services that the organization determines it can either control or influence considering a life cycle perspective. ISO 14001:2015 does not state specific environmental performance criteria.
ISO 14001:2015 helps an organization achieve the intended outcomes of its environmental management system, which provide value for the environment, the organization itself and interested parties. The benefits of an Environmental management system include:
• enhancement of environmental performance;
• fulfilment of compliance obligations;
• achievement of environmental objectives.
The workshop also highlighted existing environmental regulations and international conventions and protocols on environmental issues to which Nigeria is a signatory to.