POLICY ON THE USE OF MANAGEMENT SYSTEM CERTIFICATION MARK AND LOGO
SON has rules governing the use of any statement on product packaging or in accompanying information that the certified client has a certified management system. Product packaging is considered as that which can be removed without the product disintegrating or being damaged. Accompanying information is considered as separately available or easily detachable. Type labels or identification plates are considered as part of the product. The statement shall in no way imply that the product, process or service is certified by this means. The statement shall include reference to:
- identification (e.g. brand or name) of the certified client;
- the type of management system (e.g. quality, environment) and the applicable standard;
- the certification body issuing the certificate.
The regulations in this document relate to the SON Management Systems Certification Mark (the “Certification Mark”) as shown in the Appendix 1 owned and licensed by SON for the purposes hereof.
The Certification Mark shown in Appendix 1 is an example and it should never be used by the Client as it is. The Certification Body will provide the Client with the right logo to be used.
SON-MSC reserves the right to replace the Certification Mark as shown in the Appendix 1 by another certification mark at any time.
Use of the Certification Mark is for a renewable three-year period and is strictly limited to the Client whose management system has been successfully certified by the Certification Body.
SON also, has rules governing any management system certification mark that it authorizes its certified clients to use. These rules ensure, among other things, traceability back to the SON. There is no ambiguity, in the mark or accompanying text, as to what has been certified and which SON has granted the certification. This mark shall not be used on a product nor product packaging or in any other way that may be interpreted as denoting product conformity. The use of certification mark includes:
- The Certification Mark only will be used in the manner prescribed herein and in the Certificate.
- The Certification Mark will be used only in relation to its scope of certification and locations covered.
- The Certification Mark Communication Media will not be in such a way as to create confusion between matters referred to in the scope of certification and other matters.
- The Certification Mark will not be on products including laboratory test, calibration or inspection reports or certificates or their primary packaging in order to avoid confusion with product certification. However, it may be used on larger boxes or over-packaging that can be reasonably considered as not reaching end-users but only in association with a statement that the product was manufactured in a plant whose management system has been certified.
- e) The Certification Mark can be on stationery such as sales and contractual documents, letterheads, business cards, invoices, compliment slips, delivery slips, on advertising such as advertisements, displays, posters, TV advertisements, promotional videos, web sites, brochures, on outdoor advertisements such as billboards and signs, on flags, on vehicles, on window stickers, on promotional goods such as pocket diaries, coffee mugs, coasters, doormats.
- When used on flags, on vehicles, on larger boxes or on over-packaging not reaching end users, on window stickers, on promotional goods such as pocket diaries, coffee mugs, coasters, doormats, the Certification Mark shall be used without the Accreditation Mark.
- The Certification Mark or the Accreditation Mark will not be used on test reports or certificates of compliance such as calibration certificates or certificates of analysis.
- Client will not, during the period of validity of the Certificate or thereafter, register or attempt to register the Certification Mark or any imitation thereof, make nor assert any claim of ownership to the Certification Mark and dispute the right of the Certification Body.
- Upon the suspension, withdrawal or cancellation a Certificate, concerned company shall forthwith discontinue the use of the Certification Mark or any reference thereto, of the Accreditation Mark and will not thereafter use any copy or imitation thereof.
- In case of take-over or merger, written permission from the Certification Body is mandatory in order to transfer the right to use the Certification Mark.
MONITORING OF THE CLIENT
SON-MSC may during the entire period of validity of the Certification Mark make or entrust a representative to make all checks deemed necessary.
PENALTIES AND APPEAL
In case of improper use of the Certification mark, the SON-MSC may forthwith suspend or withdraw the certification and the right to use the Certification Mark in accordance with the sanctions procedure that will be provided by SON-MSC upon request. The Client may appeal the SON-MSC’s decision in accordance with the appeal procedure that will be provided upon request.
The Client may renounce or suspend the use of the Certification Mark for a certain period of time. It will give SON-MSC written notification 30 working days in advance and make all changes regarding its Communication Media. Based on this information the SON shall inform the Client of the terms and conditions for temporary or definitive termination of use of the Certification Mark.
CHANGES TO THE LEGISLATION
SON-MSC complies with all national and international laws, regulations and standards in force concerning the right to use the Certification Mark or the conditions for obtaining said right. It will give the Client notification of the changes thereto and the Client will be obligated to apply all modifications resulting from said changes.
CHANGES TO THE REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE USE OF THE LOGO
SON-MSC reserves the right to modify these Regulations at any time. It will give the Client 30 working days written notification of all changes thereto and the Client will be obligated to apply said changes.
- The Certification Mark shown in Appendix 1 is an example and SON-MSC will provide the Client with the right logo to be used.
- On documents printed in more than one color, the Certification Mark should be used in priority in black and the Nigerian Coat of Arms in color. However, the Client may also use the Certification Mark in grey (65% screened black).
- On documents printed in one color exclusively, the Client may either use the Certification Mark in grey and the exclusive printing color (65% screened of the exclusive printing color).
- On documents printed in more than one color or in one color exclusively, the Certification Mark may also appear on colored backgrounds when it remains clearly visible.
- For web use, the Client may create and use a transparent version of the Certification Mark.
- The Certification Mark can be enlarged as well as reduced as long as the text remains legible.
- When used in combination with the Certification Mark, the Accreditation Mark shall be equal in size or smaller than the Certification Mark.
Displaying your certificate
Remember, when labeling with respect to being certified to an ISO standard:
Don’t say: “ISO certified” or “ISO certification”
Say: “ISO 9001:2015 certified” or “ISO 9001:2015 certification; ISO 14001:2015 certified” or “ISO 14001:2015 certification” (for example).
For questions as to whether proposed use of the certification logo on an advertisement brochure or other promotional material is in conformity with these guidelines, a sample may be sent to SON-MSC for review.
For the use of the certification logo on electronic documentation (i.e. websites), the same rules as stated in these guidelines apply.
SON-MSC Certification Mark