GIZ PLEDGES TO SUPPORT SON’s QUALITY ASSURANCE ACTIVITIES ON ENERGY EFFICIENT HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES
A delegation of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) led by Ina Hommers,Head of programmes, GIZ-NESP, Dr Charles Diarra; Head of Energy Efficiency Unit and Mr Lawrence Edeke Advisor Energy Efficiency in Industry paid a courtesy call to the Director General /Chief executive (DG) Of the Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON) , Mr Osita Anthony Aboloma at the SON Corporate Headquarters in Abuja.
During the visit the delegation briefed the DG of the progress of activities of collaboration between the SON and GIZ as partners in the implementation of the Nigerian Energy Support programme.
The Nigerian Energy Support Programme is a technical cooperation programme supporting partner institutions mainly via the provision of expertise. Its main objective is to provide guidance towards the achievement of the objectives of the strategy set for the implementation of renewable Energy policy. NESP aims to improve the framework conditions for investments in the application of renewable energy and energy efficiency and rural electrification. NESP is funded by the European Union and the Government and is jointly implemented by the Federal ministry pf Power, Works and Housing and the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit(GIZ) and other relevant MDAs.
The programme has four components comprising: Policy reforms, Energy Efficiency, Rural Electrification and Capacity development
ROLE OF SON IN THE NESP
SON being a critical stakeholder in the achievement of the milestones set in the action plan particularly in the strategies of
- Adopting appropriate policy instrument-building standards/codes, mandatory labeling, mandatory energy audits, energy use disclosure, soft loans, tax credits, investment subsidies, etc.
- Promoting research, development and adaptation of internationally available energy-efficient technologies and measures
- Designing and implementing Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) for equipment and appliances
- Designing and implementing appropriate mandatory labeling for all energy consuming appliances
- Ensuring the certification and accreditation of energy auditors and energy efficiency practitioners.
SON has been playing its role with respect to these identified strategies with the help and cooperation of the GIZ with the following achievements met thus far:
- The adoption of ISO 50001 as a national Standard. This is awaiting council approval
- SON and the GIZ signed an MOU centred on capacity building and awareness creation in July 2015
- Developed a total of 19 standards for energy efficient domestic air conditioners ( windows units air conditioners, centralized air conditioning systems, ducted and non-ducted air conditioners) and refrigerators
- Labelling codes for energy efficient air conditioners
- The GIZ has trained about 20 SON staff on ISO 50001
- The GIZ has supported Son in the development of Standards on labeling of energy efficiency of air conditioners and refrigerators
- SON ISO 50001 auditors are to be used in the certification audits of two pilot energy intensive industries as part of capacity building of SON personnel towards developing capacity to offer this service
The SON DG thanked the GIZ delegation and appreciated the contributions of the GIZ towards Standardization and sought further assistance in:
- Training of its energy auditors to Lead Auditors status
- Assist in setting up an Energy management certification unit
- Assist in the Accreditation of the certification unit
- Sponsor the development of labeling standards for energy efficiency of household appliances such as washing machines, televisions, kettles, microwave ovens, fans, blenders etc
- Establishment and equipping of relevant Test laboratories for the quality assurance of Energy Efficient Appliances
- Train and develop capacity for testing of equipment’s and appliances labeled as energy efficient
- Create awareness on energy efficient appliances
In her response , Ina Hommers, the Head of programme NESP assured the DG and SON management staff of the GIZ commitment to capacity building and equipping of the SON testing laboratories to assure the quality of Energy efficient household appliances.